The way your Driver’s License works is that it is necessary to renew it every few years. The good thing is that you receive a notification from the California DMV when it is time to do so. If you have received such a notice, it is vital you take the necessary steps to renew it to ensure you can continue to drive your vehicle legally. Those living in California can renew their license up to 6 months prior to the expiration date and up to two months after it has expired.
The renewal process is quite straightforward; one can even do it from the comfort of their home. It is likely you visited a driving school for your driver’s license test in California prior to attempting the test. It is a good practice to brush up on your driving skills prior to renewing them as well. This article provides tips on how to renew your license.
Tips to Renew Your License
- The four methods to renew your license in California are online, by mail, phone, and in person.
- You can be cited by a law enforcement officer for driving with an expired license.
- If renewing in person you will need to make an appointment first, fill the form, have your thumbprint and photo taken, take the vision test, and also pay the application fee. There might also be the need to take the written test if requested.
- Renewing your license online is more convenient and can be accomplished faster without having to wait in long queues or deal with the staff at the office.
- Renewing it online is as simple as visiting the DMV website with your account, following the instructions to renew, and making the payment.
- There are several restrictions for doing it on the website. Those over the age of 70, already expired licenses, and other license issues cannot renew it online.
- To renew by mail, you will need to do so 60 days prior to the expiration date.
- It is possible for those to renew over the phone who have received the necessary instructions for this purpose. It involves calling the number and providing debit or credit card information over the phone.
Refresh your Driving Skills with Ideal Course
Many people opt to take a training course prior to attempting their driver’s license test. However, it is not necessary to do so at the time of renewal. It is likely that you are already an expert driver and do not need to take any course. However, several driving schools offer refresher courses just for drivers like these. Click2Drive is one such driver training school in California that offers a wide range of courses to help new drivers as well as those who need a refresher course.
We have the perfect package for those planning to renew their license. This is the “Drive Test Read” course. It includes a 1-hour brush-up lesson along with an introduction to driving. It also includes some of the basic skills like parking, reversing, freeways, defensive driving, parallel parking, 3 point turns, and more. Contact us if you need to refresh your driving skills and renew your license.