It is necessary to apply for a Driver’s license in California, and San Diego is no exception. The process of applying for one requires going through several steps of learning and taking tests; however, there is no way around this. Drivers do have the option of either learning themselves, taking help from friends or relatives, or finding a good driving school in San Diego. As one can imagine getting a driver’s license means having to pass the test. This includes a theory test online for the rules & regulations as well as a practical test. This article provides more information on the process of applying for a license.
Process of Applying for Driver’s License
- Submit Form DL44
- Pass the written permit test
- Gain your instruction permit
- Pass behind-the-wheel test
The basic steps to obtain a Driver’s License in California areas mentioned above. It is quite understandable that not many are keen on the idea of spending a substantial amount of time at the DMV office. Here are a few tips to make this process smoother and faster for you:
- It will work in your favor to call ahead and make an appointment in advance. This is a good way to avoid large queues and save time.
- Another way to save time is to fill the application form for Driver’s License or Identification Card online. It is necessary to do this prior to scheduling the appointment; doing it online will save you the trouble of visiting the office personally.
- All applicants are required to verify their identity by presenting several documents. The documents you will require include your social security number or military ID number, documents for name & date of bath verification as well as 2 documents to prove residency in California.
- You can expect to have your photo & thumbprint taken as well.
- There is a small charge for this application, it is referred to as the license fee. You will be required to pay this fee prior to taking the written test and obtaining an instruction permit.
- It is vital your vision is right to obtain a Driver’s license; hence expect a vision examination as well.
- Take the written permit test and clear it in the 3 chances that you are provided. This test will have approximately 36 questions.
- The intermittent driving permit or instruction permit that you will receive will be valid for 90 days.
- The other test involves literally getting behind the wheel of a car and taking the driving test. The driving test is essential for those applying for the first time.
- Some of the common tasks you can expect to be requested to perform are the turning signals as well as slowing & stopping in time.
- You will need a satisfactory score and do most tasks right to obtain your Driver’s license.
Benefits of Training at a Driving School
There are several requirements one must meet in order to be eligible to apply for a Driver’s License in California:
- At least 15 and a half years or older.
- Be a legal resident of California, USA
- Provide a vehicle for the test that has insurance and is safe to use for the test.
It is a good idea to study and practice for your written test especially if it is the first time. A professional driving school can also help you prepare for yourself in California, for behind-the-wheel driving tests. Click2Drive is one such driving school that has been around for over 25 years. We offer online as well as in-car driver education. At Click2Drive you get to choose from various packages which involve a basic introduction to driving as well as several other expert skills like defensive driving, parallel programming and much more.